Sunday, June 11, 2006

I suspect that the detainees

are very divided about suicide. After all, they're in an untenable situation, imprisoned by implacable authorities who want to keep them on ice for the rest of their lives. To commit suicide is to make a statement about one's conditions, but one can only make it once.
There is also the problem of Muslim doctrine & suicide. If Allah commanded you into existence, I don't see where you have the right to deal yourself out of life. If you're answering for your suicide, what do you say, "conditions down there got too much for me, and I wanted to make a statement and get out at the same time"? Or how about this: "Since I have heard the final revelation and perfect word, I felt I had the right to chastise the infidels who imprisoned me by killing myself and humiliating them in the eyes of the rest of the world."
I could imagine there being a few questions about the nature of faith in adversity ensuing, if not in conversation, within the individual.

What I'm saying is, I wouldn't want to be these people for all the American debt in China.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?