Tuesday, May 23, 2006

I have finished

reading Mardi today. It is the kind of novel that would take at least half or three-quarters of an academic career to unravel. I'm glad to know just what is in there, but I don't think I'll be doing any intensive work on it segment by segment any time soon. I still need to read more of Melville's canon. My next project is reading Redburn, His First Voyage, and I note that in the Project Gutenberg e-book, there's no statement of the year this novel was written. I think it's probably between 1845 and 1864, but I'll have to do some more research to track down the year. I've read an extended excerpt of Redburn that pertained to immigration in America and the Sea, which is a maritime survey history by Benjamin Labaree.
But before I begin Redburn, I'm going to take a break. I'm trying to re-calibrate the battery in my braille-note, and I've got the machine talking to itself in the other room. I miss it when I can't read from it. I also want to read a few articles first or intersperse the articles with my novel-reading. After Redburn, I'm going to read Israel Potter, 1855. And perhaps afterward "The Lightning-Rod Man." I've also been reading the Harpers magazines I've been receiving over the last few months in braille. I haven't been able to read them because my schedule at school has been so demanding. While there's no school, summer vacation is far from idleness. I like to sleep a little longer and slow my pace, but I think I'd probably turn dull if I stopped reading.
I'm also going to work on using my braille-note as a braille display for this computer, in particular, for the Latin files to practice translation. I would like to take my exams sometime in 2007 or early in 2008. I also need to start creating note & summary files. I need to know narratives, & to master perspectives. The first imperative isn't that difficult, the second will be more work. The dissertation seems like a whole different literary genre-- one that stands by itself.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?